On January 1, 2001 the new city of Hamilton was formed from the amalgamation of six municipalities: Hamilton, Ontario, Ancaster, Dundas, Flamborough, Glanbrook, and Stoney Creek. Before amalgamation, the “old” City of Hamilton had 331,121 Hamiltonians divided into 100 neighbourhoods. The new amalgamated city has 490,268 people in over 200 neighbourhoods.
Waterdown was created from that part of East Flamborough Township on the edge of the Niagara Escarpment, just east of the junction of King’s Highways Nos. 5 and 6. That intersection is known as Clappison’s Corners, but continuous residential and commercial buildings between the two communities make it difficult to see any difference.
Community institutions include:
- Waterdown District High School
- Allan A. Greenleaf Public School
- Flamborough Review (merged with the Flamborough Post)
- Flamborough Family YMCA
- 3rd Waterdown Scouting
- Village Theatre Waterdown
- The Waterdown East Flamborough Heritage Society
In 1974, the village was amalgamated with East Flamborough, West Flamborough and Beverly townships to form the Town of Flamborough. In 2001, Flamborough and 5 other municipalities were amalgamated into the City of Hamilton.
Waterdown is expanding greatly, with the recent addition of a YMCA and several commercial establishments. Because of the approval of new homes in Waterdown – at least 6,500 more houses in the near future – there are ongoing discussions regarding the planned $50 million ‘Waterdown By-Pass’, which would allow for easier access across the city. Waterdown population growth was approximately 28.9% over the years 1996 and 2001.
In September 2017, the average residential freehold house price in Waterdown was $622,881. The average Condominium price at the same time was $402,400.
Waterdown District High School (WDHS) expanded its facilities in 2012.
- 1Population of Greater Waterdown
- 2.1Indigenous Nations
- 2.2Robert de la Salle explores Flamborough
- 2.3British Conquest of 1760 and the American Revolution
- 2.4Alexander Brown and Merren Grierson
- 2.5Ebenezer Griffin – the founder of Waterdown
- 2.6The name “Waterdown”
- 2.7Industrial Revolution
- 2.82001 Forced Amalgamation
- 2.9Souharissen Natural Area
- 2.10The Queen’s Bench
- 3Natural attractions
- 4Other attractions
- 5Notable people
- 7External links
Sorry we are experiencing system issues. Please try again.